Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day 10: HOME!

Made it home to KC this evening!

 Now let me back up to where this day started...

Well, I took a Benadryl when I got on the plane in Addis, and just like I hoped, I didn't wake up for 5.5 hours until we landed in Rome - some time in the middle of the night.  I ate some awesome airplane food, popped another Benadryl, and slept most of the way back to D.C.  Plenty of sleep, that's for sure!  It helped that no one was next to me and could sprawl out across two seats. 

Woke up in Rome, snapped this picture out the window, ate, and went back to sleep...

Landed in D.C. around 7:30am local time.  My throat was killing me and so was my head.  I don't know if it's allergies or what, but not cool.  I drank orange juice a couple times on the flight thinking that might help - some vitamin c. 

Hopped off the plane, was the second one from our flight in line for immigration, so didn't have to wait at all.  Got my bag and waited in line to check it in again, then took off for my gate.  Found a Starbucks for breakfast.  Oatmeal and some more oj.

I felt pretty gross from being on an airplane for so long, and really wanted to clean up.  So...what do you do when you're at an airport?  You take a bath in the sink.  Yea, it's awesome. ;)  I spread all my stuff out on the diaper changing station next to the sink and got started.  Washed my face, stuck my head under and washed my hair, then started with the body and a wash cloth.  Ha, I got some seriously strange looks from people walking in, but thankfully it was super early and the airport was pretty dead.  I even shaved my legs and stuck my foot up in the sink to wash them.  There was water every where by the time was done, but I felt great!  Clean body and clean clothes... I even dried my hair out in the airport because there wasn't an outlet in the bathroom.  More strange looks...  Oh well, I felt way better after that! :)

The only thing left to take care of was my nails, so I found a little "10-minute manicure" place in the next terminal and set off for it.  Got my nails done and made it back to my gate just in time to board the plane for Chicago!  Perfect!

Easy 2 hour flight to Chicago, grabbed some lunch and relaxed for awhile before my final flight in to KC.  I was SO ready to be home by that point.  I had been traveling for almost 48 hours if you count the time I left Hoima on the bus!

Flight from Chicago to Kansas City
Another easy flight, and Matt was waiting at my gate to get me!  Man was I excited to see him!  I just hugged him and kept giggling, ha.  Hopefully that was the last time I ever have to go on a big trip without him!

Oh - here are a couple funny things I learned while in Uganda:

"It is possible."  =  Yes

"I will remove it."  =  I'll turn the light off.

"I will come."  = You wait here, I'll come back.

"It is very near."  = It's probably at least an hour away.


1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! Can't wait to hear the rest of the details :) Glad you are back home, safe and sound!