Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Nicaragua - Day 5

 I could NOT fall asleep last night, and I am definitely dragging this morning! I just couldn't get those kids faces out of my head laying their in bed! And I'm really really trying to get ALL their names down, but 60 kids is a real stretch, even for me and I'm pretty good with names and faces! Aaaaand I kept wondering if every little itch I felt was head lice! But just for the record, I'm still healthy as can be this morning and my head still does NOT itch! And I've been slathering my vanilla chapstick on like crazy! Like every 2 minutes. Aaahh it feels sooooo good. :)

No "devotional" this morning. We just talked about todays schedule for the most part. Since they are done drilling, today they will be forming the well and getting it to produce clean water by forcing air, via a compressor, in to the casing (white pvc pipe) and forcing water out. Once the water is clean, they will put the actual steel pipe in to the well! Jorge told us to bring an extra tshirt with us today - apparently while the water is running , waiting to get clean, the kids in the village has massive water fight!!

Something must of been funny... ;)

Breakfast was bacon and egs (and cereal and pb and j, like I've had every day!) We set off a little late this morning because Kenia was running behind. She came flying up on the back of a motorcycle right at 8. She looked a little rough and said she had a migraine. :( The traffic in Leon was much worse since we left a little bit later. Some of the "buses" here are pretty funny. Its literally a truck with a tarp over some pipes on the side of the truck bed! People pay for that?! I would've snapped a picture, but you know, I didn't bring my camera charger! Hopefully someone else will get one...

When we got to the village, the people on the "drill team" - whch is everyone except Kenia and I - got to work on the well, loading up the drilling rig and moving it away, and mowing the compressor in and hooking it up, etc.  Kenia and I went to our spot in the back yard under the trees and tried to figure out what activity we were going to do with the women that morning. The school - for the kids who actually go to school - was celebrating Mothers Day, so the moms asked if we could start our lesson and hour later today, which of course was fine.  It actually turned out good because we really couldn't come up with any good ideas for what to do!  We finally decided we would just have the women cut a big cross out of colored construction paper and decorate it with glue and sequins, then punch a hole and tie yarn through it, and write "Dios me ama" on the back of it.  We still had a little bit of time before we could get started - some of the moms weren't there yet - so I picked up the kids bible I brought and started reading in spanish to the women (and asked Kenia to correct me or make sure what I was saying made sense).   I was pleasantly surprised I could do it pretty well - and so were the women! I read the story about creation in Genesis, and they all clapped amd cheered when I was done!  Kenia assured me I did a really good job. :)


One of the little girls dressed up for the Mother's Day celebration at school

Kenia's boyfriend, Omar, rode up on a motorcycle - all the way out where we were - and brought her some medicine for her headache. He was so polite and nice and CUTE, and spoke great English. Turns out he was actually Kenia's English teacher at the university, and they've been together about 2 years. They're getting married in November or December - and I'm expecting an invite! ;)

Omar and Kenia

So anyways, as all the women started getting there, Kenia read something from the bible and told them something about how much God loves them and how he died on the cross to save us from punishment for our sins - or something similar to that. I didn't quite get it all. And then I handed them construction paper and markers and scissors and Kenia told them what they were supposed to do.  Well, turns out none of them knew how to draw a cross - or very few anyhow - so I ended up drawing about 15 crosses for them to cut out. And then some of them had the nerve to complain that their cross wasn't perfect - one arm was a little longer than the other. Oh my goodness, well give it here and I'll cut a little off the other side, jeez! ;)




So they got to cutting and decorating, and the super young mom showed up with 3 month old Isabella again, and just sat there staring at her stuff, bouncing the baby. Soooo of course I went and got Isabella from her again! :) When I picked her up, her mom had a big wet spot on her jean skirt - where the baby had obviously peed on her - they use thin little white clothes for diapers here, and it didn't even phase her when she saw it! She just went on with her day and was really excited and just dug right in with decorating her cross! Ummmm, hello?! You have baby pee all over you and now I have a baby with a urine soaked clothe safety pinned to her!! Ugghh - oh well.  I got over it and bounced her on my hip with one arm and punched holes and passed out glue and sequins with the other - just like the day before!



Kenia and I wrote on the backs of the crosses when they were finished decorating them. I think the women really liked their crosses, and hopefully they will remember how much God loves them when they look at them! :)


Once they were done, we heard the kids starting to scream, and the water fight had begun! Water was gushing out of the pvc pipe and the kids had hard hats and buckets and anything else they could grab - filled up with water and soaking everyone! It was another HOT day, so I was okay with joining in! I got wet from head to toe - numerous times - and the kids loved it. :) The little girl, Wendy, who the kids were teasing about head lice yesterday, asked Frank (pastor) to play with her. She really just wanted him to dump water over her head, and every time he did, she just scratched and scratched her scalp. Siigghh...she totally has lice!






After the water fight - which went on for quite awhile - we had lunch: hot dogs! Yes, I was forced to either eat a hot dog or go hungry - and I sure wasn't about to go hungry! It wasn't all that bad, but who knows what it was made out of! Probably ground up iguana or something! I'm sure I've eaten worse, but I wasn't excited about it. I had lots of chips to make up for it. ;)

Once we finished eating, Kenia and I went back to the yard - still soaking wet - and started to set up for the kids to come at 1. But black clouds moved in again and it staryted to sprinkle. Instead of freaking out and rushing everything in to the van, I suggested maybe just putting it up by the house, under the awning, would be okay in case it didn't rain. And sure enough, after a light sprinkle for about 10 minutes, the sun was back, so we moved the stuff back under the trees and got started. We made little teeth puppets (kind of) using paper bags. Kenia talked about how important brushing your teeth is, etc, as I passed out a sheet of paper with a giant tooth with a face. The kids colored it, and once they brought their 3 crayons back, I gave them scissors to cut it out, and then once they brought their scissors back, I would glue it on the paper bag. They thought it was pretty fun. :)





Once most of the kids had finished, Kenia handed out sheets of stickers for them, and THEN they got tattoos, too!! They all lined up so nice and quit for their tattoos - well kinda... One line for girls and one line for boys. We showed them how to put the tattoos on with water, and then they each got two. So yea, the next half hour was spent helping the kids (and some moms!) with tattoos. :)

Lining up for tattoos

Once the excitement died down, we decided to move everyone out to the "street" and play kickball. Well, I didn't play, I just watched while the kids sat and hung on me, but it was a pretty intense and long game!



During this time, the women from the village made cement - yea, they literally made it like from scratch, to set the well in. And we got to place the plack in front of our well! We really wanted to put our hand prints and names in the cement, but they said we couldn't because then they would have 500 other handprints in the cement too! I guess we get to sign the inside of the pump though. :) While everyone else - except me and Kenia and the kids - cleaned and packed up, we went back to kickball/kid holding. Everyone else was literally getting in the van to leave, and they were like, "Hey! Are you guys coming with us or staying here?!" Ha - we almost got left. I think I would've been okay staying there though. :)





When we got back to the house, I changed out of my still semi-wet clothes and laid down on my bed to type some of this...aaaand woke up about an hour later! I guess I was a little more tired than I thought. I was going to hop in the shower to clean up a little when I woke up, but I decided not too. I mean the mud and sweat and germs were already dried on to me. ;) Jorge's wife wants to check my head for lice this evening! She wants to make sure I don't have any. If I do, I guess she will have to clean and treat a lot of stuff...so I sure hope she doesn't find any!

Dinner was fried taquitos and cabbage salad. They actually made the taquitos, but they tasted just like the store bought ones back home. We sat around and talked a little bit around the dinner table again after we ate. 

Jorge is sick - and so is his littlest boy. He said he was hungover and he didn't even get to drink! ;) So I guess we're just going to hang out and talk - or maybe I'll read - for a couple of hours and then go to bed! Tomorrow is our last day in the village and the well dedication ceremony, and the people in the village are going to cook lunch for us - some sort of soup! :)

I can't believe its our last day already!! I am definitely going to miss those kids... :( Hope I can get them out of my head so I can actually sleep tonight! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment