Friday, October 12, 2007

Beijing, China

Sorry it's been so long since my last update -- now this is going to be super long because I have to cover THREE days!!  :)


I'll try and start where I left off...Tuesday night in Hong Kong...and see what I can remember...

Well I was at the office late Tuesday night - Amy had to leave early that day - and I didn't end up going out by myself for dinner.  Actually I don't think I ate at all.  I got off the conference call around 10:30pm and went to my hotel and crashed.  Got up the next morning, had breakfast at my hotel (by myself this time) and came in to the office again.  Worked for awhile, and Amy and I decided we were hungry.  So out we went...found a little bakery and I just had some bread - everything else looked weird or I couldn't pronounce it. :) 

Amy's flight to Beijing was earlier than mine and she was meeting her husband at the airport for lunch, so she had to leave late-morning.  Well the only suitcase I have is a HUGE one that I have to check in.  I really didn't want to check a bag in for my day and a half trip to Beijing, so Amy said she would walk with me to a store to buy a smaller one, but then she had to get to the airport.  So we took off walking...VERY fast - this girl walks faster than me...and I was trying to take mental pictures of all the turns so I didn't get lost on the way back.  It was only about a 10 minute walk to the little store...Amy told me to "bargain" with them and ask for a discount.  I said why, and she said, "Just do it!  That's just what you do here!" and took off down the street for the airport.  Hmmm...so here I am in this store on the street that sells luggage...and the guy doesn't speak English at all and the girl working spoke very limited English.  No big deal...I'm getting used to it at this point! :)  So I find a suitcase I like (red and purple and has four wheels so it rolls all directions).  I point to it, tell the girl I want it, and she goes to get a new one.  When she comes back I ask "how much" and she tells me...I don't even remember.  I instantly shook my head no and said "discount".  Much to my surprise, she shook her head yes and said, "yes, discount for you."  Haha...I love this place.  So I bought the suitcase (ridiculously cheap) and made it back to my hotel just fine...I think I'm getting used to this place and all the busy streets. :) 


But now I'm hungry...and not up to fighting the streets again and trying to figure out what I want to eat and what I don't.  Good thing there's a Pizza Hut in my hotel...how bad can that be right?  Oh it can be bad...I looked at the menu and all the pizza was crazy...corn and crab meet and gross stuff...but the lasagna looks safe, so that's what I order.  10 minutes later, I'm headed back to the office with my Pizza Hut to eat and work for awhile before leaving for the airport.  So I open the lasagna and it looks like several layers of noodles with a very little amount of tomato sauce or something like that on the top layer only.  Okay...whatever...I'll try it.  Turns out it wasn't really noodles...not sure what it was.  Kind of like mashed potatoes maybe??  Definitely NOT pasta.  Whatever it was, it wasn't good...and the meat sauce on top was not regular meat sauce.  SO...I'm thinking I'll just skip lunch today... :)


My flight for Beijing was at 5pm, so Amy said I should leave the office around 2, take a taxi to the train station, and take the train to the airport because it is cheaper than a taxi the whole way.  Right...I can figure this out.  So at 2pm, I head downstairs and hardly have to wait for at taxi at all.  Of coursre, this guy doesn't speak much English...but I'm prepared!  I had Amy right down "Central Station" in Cantonese for me, so I just handed him the sheet.  He shook his head yes and I was there in 15 minutes or so.  Now I just have to figure out the train station...   Found the little kiosk to buy tickets, put in 100HKD, got my ticket, and made it to the train just in time to see it leave, of course.  Good news is they come every 10 minutesI found out!  So I got on the next one and got off at the airport about 30 minutes later after several stops.  Checked in for my flight (no line) and then find out it is delayed...of course.  So now I have three hours to wait in the HK airport.  BUT the HK airport is also a MALL...it is the COOLEST airport ever!  I shopped the entire time...bought some ice cream, a HK shirt, and probably some other junk I didn't need...and eventually head to my gate to wait for the flight. 


Again, I'm prety sure I was he ONLY non-Asian on the flight - I mean this was HK to Beijing, not alot of Americans doing that one I guess.  And it was a FULL flight, again.  To make matters worse, I am in the VERY last row of the plane, so not ony is there less leg room in front, but your seat doesn't recline either...I hate that spot!  That's what I get for not checking in early on-line I guess!!  Shortly in to the filght, they served dinner.  The flight attendant asked me what I wanted...a choice of two things...neither of which I could understand at all.  So I just said "the first one" and opened it up.  NO IDEA what it was...honestly.  But I was so hungry by this time I didn't care...just started eating, and surprisingly, it wasn't bad!!  :) 


Three hours later, I arrive in Beijing.  It's already dark out so I got to see all the lights flying in...it was a HUGE airport!  There was stuff about the Olympics absolutely EVEYWHERE in the airport (and later to find out in all of Beijing).  Got off the plane and waited in line to go through the first little security gate.  They gave me one sheet on the plane to fill out - like a customs form or whatever - so I just hand it to the guy when I got to him.  He says no and hands it back.  And holds up a different sheet he needs.  I just shook my head no, and he pointed to a table behind me.  OF COURSE I have to fight my way back through the line and fill out some stupid health form.  Name, DOB, passport, nationality and a couple of questios like, "Have you been in contact with chickens in the past xx days?" and "have you been in contact with someone who has the flu or pneomonia?" or something like that.  Now who is honestly going to answer yes to any of the questions, knowing that you wont' get in to the country if you do.  SO stuipd...but I fill it out, wait in line again, and then the guy DOESN'T EVEN LOOK at the form.  Just throws it in his pile and ushers me through...UGH!  Okay - NEXT line - oh yes...SAME FREAKING THING!  I get to the front, hand the guy the sheet from the airplane...nope...points to a different stand with forms on it and back I go.  I'm thinking NO WAY -- did this just happen again?  How in the world am i supposed to know to fill out every single form I see?  Okay - so I fill out the form...same info: name, dob, passport #, nationality, and asked like two questions on what you are brining in to the country.  Back in line i go...get to the front and pass through.  Okay - THIRD line...FINALLY this is the line that needs the form from the airplane.  I hand it to him, and again, he doesn't even glance at it or at me...just keeps ushering people through.  Honestly...what is the point of filling all the crap out if no one looks at it? 


I was SO frustrated at this point...but at least I'm past all the lines and immigration and customs and security...  Found an ATM relativly quickly, got some RMB (China's currency) and go out to find a taxi.  NO WAY - there are AT LEAST 200 people waiting in line for a taxi.  About 30 minutes later...I finally get one.  The guy sure doesn't look like he speaks any English...so I finally get my first chance to try out my Mandarin! :)  I said ni hao (hello) and he smiled and said it back...knowing that I didn't really speak mandarin.  But I keep going..."ni hao ma?" (how are you?" -- no idea what he said back, but he was smiling...waiting for what else I had. :)  So I said...in my best over-pronunciated mandarin "Wo sure me guoren" (I am an American!)...haha...that got him to laughing...as if he didn't already know that I was an American.  So he's having fun now and so am I...so I start counting for him...holding up my fingers as I go...ee, ar, san...all the way up to six (which is all I can remember).  The guy is cracking up...waiting for what else I'm going to do.  But I just shrugged my sholders and shook my head...dui boo chi.  boo hao (I'm sorry...no good)..."That's all I've got".  He looked a little disappointed. ;)  I had already handed him the sheet of paper Amy wrote for me that said Shangri La China World Hotel and had the address.  The guy started asking me questions in mandarin!!  Hello...he obviously knows I don't know what he's saying...so I have to call Amy and get her on the phone to tell him where to go.  THANK GOODNESS FOR AMY!  Traffic wasn't too bad and about 30 minutes later, the driver turns around and points to a huge building...China World Hotel.  He pulled up and I asked "how much."  It was like $6 USD...SO cheap.  So I gave him a dollar extra (even though Amy said you don't really tip here) and he LAUGHED!  So i gave him another one...thinking he didn't think it was enough or something (Amy later told me it was probably because he was happy and not used to tips.)  I said "shia shia.  xia jian" (thank you.  goodbye) and the guy says "bye bye"  Haha...it was pretty funny.  I wonder how much English he knew...punk!


So I walk in to this place in my capris and flip flops that I've had on all day...and everyone is in suit and tie and evening dresses...no joke.  I've NEVER felt so out of place in my life!  I guess Amy forgot to mention that we were staying in one of the nicest hotels in Beijing.  Here are a couple of pictures of the entrance to the hotel.



I snuck up to my room, trying not to be seen by anyone (I had already missed dinner with the group since my flight was delayed) and crashed in my huge king size bed! :)  Up at 6:30 to shower and be ready for breakfast with everyone at 7:30.  We met in the cafe at the hotel and they had everything imaginable.  I had some pancakes, scrambled egss, toast, cereal, fruit...SO good to have American food again!  They had evey kind of juice, too.  I had watermelon juice...it's my new favorite!! :)  Then it was off to the first meeting of the day. 


Traffic was INSANE -- took us almost an hour to go not very far.  Beijing is going to have to make some serious changes before they are ready for the Olympics next year!  We were late to out meeting - and it lasted almost three hours!  Then they ordered pizza for us...of course it was the crazy pizza like Pizza Hut in HK had.  I have no idea what was on it...I had one little piece and called it good...thinking I would grab something back at the hotel.  Fight traffic all the way back and already missed the second meeting.  So I hear about this place called the "silk market" close by and decide to go shop for an hour or so with Amy before she leaves for HK.  We were told it was "two blocks" down the street, so we take off walking.  About 7 blocks into it, I talk her in to asking someone on the street where it is.  They pointed in the same direction we were walking, so we kept going.  Stopped and asked AGAIN a few blocks later...this was a LOT farther than "two blocks."  FINALLY - about a mile down the road, we find the Silk Market.  Now THIS is a shoppers paradise: a HUGE building - probably a city block long - with six floors.  And what did they have?  Well...anything "made in China"...which, let's face it, is pretty much EVERYTHING!  It was jam packed - wall to wall - with people and clothes, watches, sunglasses, coats, shoes, purses, luggage, electronics ... seriously...EVERYTHING!  And we had less than an hour to shop!  Well I hit the watches first...of course. :)  I bought FOUR watches.  I think I got them all for under $20 USD so that's okay right?? :)   Also picked up a really cute black Max Mara black jacket for about $25 USD.  Now when we first walked in, I saw all the coats and ski gear...so on the way out, we hit one of those places.  So of course I picked out an entire Spyder ski outfit...red pants and a red/white/light blue jakcet...and the negotiating started!  Amy said the rule of thumb is this:  if they offer you 1 item for 10 RMB...you want to get them down to 2 items for 5 RMB.  So they started out at like 1200 RMB for this outfit and we got them down to 300 and wouldn't go any lower.  The girl was actually pretty pissed, but Amy said we had to walk away and make them go lower.  I didn't have that much cash left anyways, so I had to find an ATM and Amy had to leave.  She told me to go back if I really wanted it, but to get them down to 280 RMB.  So I found an ATM and went back.  The girl looked me right in the eye (remembering who I was) and said "You want to buy, I take 300 - NO LESS!"  I could tell she wasn't budging...she had already put the outfit away.  So I whipped out my 300 RMB and handed it over...so much for my negotiating!!  It was worth it though...$40 USD for that!?  :) I could have spent ALL day in there...but I had to get back to the hotel and get some food. 


Once I got back, it hit me that this was my only day in Beijing!  I really wanted to see the Forbidden City and Tianamen Square before I left...so I hopped in a cab and took off, armed with a card from the hotel to get me back.  Didn't take too long to get there...maybe 20 minutes, but it was 3:50pm and I ws told the Forbidden City closes at 4pm.  So the cab driver drops me off a ways away from the entrance.  I threw some money at him and took off running...literally...for the gate where all the people are.  This guy on a little motorcyle with a cart on the back pulls up and starts hollering at me to get in...he said "FOUR MINUTE!!"  As in they close in four minutes.  Yeah...I knew that...so I say - still running - how much?  He says 10! 10!  Get in!  Fine...it was a ways away and I knew I only had minutes to buy my ticket, so he stopped and I jumped in the back...I REALLY wish I would've taken a picture of the little contraption, but I didn't have time.  He said "THREE MINUTE!"  And I hollered, "I KNOW...GO!!"  He laughed, charged his arm forward like Super Man, and said "GO!" and took off.  It was SO funny.  Took a minute or so to get there - I probably could have ran just as fast - and I handed him 20 RMB...not wanting to fumble through my money for a 10 (which by the way, is about 1.30 USD).  He tries to KEEP the 20!!  JERK!  I literally grabbed it back from his hand because he wasn't going to give me change, and said, "NO!  10!" so I had to go through my cash, find a 10 and run to by a ticket.  The girl gave me a ticket and said "Hurry!  Only one minute!".  So I turned around and RAN to the huge gate, which was already about 3/4 closed and they were just letting people out.  I was really thinking they probably just sold me a ticket to go in and I'm going to get kicked out in 30 seconds...but it was my only chance.  Well I got in, and to my surprise, there were other people in there walking around too!  (Turns out they just stop letting pople in at 4 and don't kick you out until 6.)  The place was amazing...just HUGE...it went on forever.  Every time I'd walk through a gate thinking it had to be the end, and it was just another huge square.  I don't know much of the history on it, but am definitely going to have to read up on it now...it was pretty cool! 











After an hour and a half, I finally make it to the end - clear across the other side which is a couple of miles.  This next picture is across the street for the entrance, and the one after that is the water surrounding the walls of the city - like a mote!
 


Well I was pretty tired of walking at this point, and wanted to take another little motorcycle ride back to the other side (which is off the main street that my hotel happens to be on, too).  Some guy comes up to me asking me if I want a cyclo ride or something like that...and I ask how much...and I think he wanted 50 RMB or something like that...too much I thought.  But he grabbed my arm and said come...this next picture is what he tried to put me in for 50 RMB!! 


NO WAY.  I may be a crazy America, but I'm not THAT crazy! ;)  I said NO and turned around...him walking behind me trying to get me to change my mind.  Then ANOTHER guy comes up and says, "Come with me...I have cheaper" with a big 'ole toothless grin.  Whatever...I don't really care at this point and started walking with this old guy.  He was pretty nice and spoke a little bit of English.  I practiced my mandarin on him and he taught me a few more words...we were just talking and walking...and before I knew it we were a LONG ways away from the front of the entrance where everyone else was.  Shit...I'm thinking...as we turn down a little ally off the main road.  Okay Terri...is this not what everyone told you exactly NOT to do?  Don't go off the beaten path with anyone...don't go down any dark allies?  Pretty sure I just did both!  Well I was actually starting to get a little nervous as we turned AGAIN down ANOTHER little ally...but just around the corner was this old rickety bike with a little seat on the back.  I feel a little bit of relief...still wondering what I was doing walkng with this guy in a hutong (that's what these little shanty areas where the poor people live are called turns out.)  But I get on...and have someone walking by take a picture...


Notice the alley where I ended up...yeah...probably NOT a really not a good idea to be there.  My boss' wife said I "flunked day one" in HK by getting in the cab with than random guy...I'm going to say I flunked day one in Beijing as well. :)  BUT it turned out to be just fine - good even!  This guy was awesome.  I have to admit I was a little worried the entire time, because we didn't go on the main roads at all.  He took me around the side roads and pointed everything out along the way and gave me some history on the area.  This picture is of a government home a few blocks from the Forbidden city...notice the four stars at the top of the door...this was the home of a four star general in the army.  That's how you knew what ranking the people had that lived in the government houses. 


The sad thing was, just next door to the "government housing" there was poverty.  This was literally the house NEXT DOOR. 


He said the government took all the nice houses and cars and left everyone else with nothing...it really was pitiful to see how they lived.  So this guy just kept riding and riding...showing me all the little shops and things on the streets...it was the coolest thing ever (not smart, I know, but it turned out to be really good).  He finally took me to the front of Tianamen square and stopped.  I gave him 100 RMB (about $13 USD) and he was SO happy...I'm pretty sure that's a LOT of money for him. :)

I noticed some commotion aruond the front of Tienamen Square and decided to go check it out.  Everyone was just lined up in front waiting for something.  Eventually, the army marched out, crossed the street, and changed a flag or something.  I'm not really sure what it was, but it was apparently a big deal.  Here are the pics from that...




Once that was over, I wanted to walk through the square a little more before heading back to the hotel...here's where I went wrong.  I got in the square, walked around, nothing special, and decided to walk out the exit on the side and find my way back to the front - rather than just turning around and going back to the front where I knew.  The sun was setting and it was starting to get cool...and I was starting to get hungry.  I snapped a couple of good pictures form the outside as I was walking away.



Somehwere along the line, I got turned around.  I still don't know how...I really thought I knew where I was.  And I'm usually pretty good with directions and being able to figure out which way I need to go...but not here, not this time.  I walked and walked and walked...trying to find that main street again.  It's getting dark...and it's cold...and I'm walking the streets of Beijing alone(okay, definitely flunked this day).  All of the construction workers are getting off work now and lining the streets..ALL OVER.  And as soon as a bus pulls up they all run and jump on and pack as many people as physically possible into the bus...even as the doors are shutting and the bus is driving away, they are still trying to hang on...it was crazy.  So I'm still walking...turns out I walked in a giant circle for almost an hour...seriously.  So it's dark now, I'm a little lost, and still cold in my flip flops.  I pull out my map of Beijing and put it in front of a security guard and point to the road I am looking for.  He looks at the map for a couple seconds, turns it around, and points straight ahead.  Okay - that's good - except that is NOT the way I thought it was.  So I keep walking...and walking...and walking.  About 20 minutes of me race-walking through the crowded side streets (these aren't big well-lit safe streets either) I see big stop lights and lots of cars...FINALLY...the main street.  Now I just have to find a taxi.  And I see one right away, at the stoplight.  I run in front of the stopped cars and knock on his window...and he shakes his head no and waves me away!!  What the .. ?  Come on!!  I run back across the street, not knowing why he wouldn't take me...and keep walking.  Yes...still walking...probably for another 30 minutes I bet.  I have no idea how far I've gone or how much farther my hotel is.  I walked in the tunnell under the street to get to the other side where it looks like there are more taxis.  Still no taxi...they are all taken.  STILl walking...it's after 8pm now and dark.  I finally find a nice hotel and just walk up to the concierge guys outside and hand them my hotel card.  He kind of gave me a weird look and walked off.  He came back a couple of minutes later with a taxi...I wanted to just give him a big hug...but I gave him some cash instead.  The driver took my hotel card and took off.  I bet I walked half way back to my hotel...it wasn't really all that much farther in the taxi...another 4 or 5 minutes maybe.  So I made it back...after a somewhat nerve-racking evening in Beijing...and didn't have time to get ready to go to dinner with everyone.  All I wanted was some ice cream anyways - so I set out...on foot...again.  I saw a Baskin Robbins a ways back...not sure how far...but decide to try and find it.  (I never learn huh!?)  I walked past the silk market again and decided to look again real quick for some art work for the office in KC.  Got a little side tracked and ended up buying 2 Prada bags.  I know...I'm terrible.  I found some art work for the office too though...and got the girl WAY down on price and decided to try and get out of that mad house.  Everyone was going crazy because it was getting close to closing time (10pm).  They all yell at you as you walk by...I mean ALL of them.  "Hey lady...you come look...come look for free..good deal for you!"  and grab your arm.  I just ignored them and keep walking like everyone else...if you even pause to glance at something they suck you in!  But this one girl literally grabbed my arm and wouldn't let go and physically pulled me in her little booth.  I wasn't scared or anything...she was just a young girl, but she had a pretty firm grip on my arm, and wanted to sell me another purse.  I showed her that I had just bought two and didn't need anymore.  We went on and one and back and forth for a good five minues.  She was SO pushy and would NOT let me out of her area.  She basically started begging me...and I told her I didn't have any more money...which was not a lie.   I showed her my wallet...alll I had was 100HKD for the train in Hong Kong the next day, and some change.  US coins, Mexican pesos and British pounds...maybe a few dollars all together.  And she took it!  Haha...she said she would take my change for the bag.  LOL...it was so funny...I almost felt bad for her!  But whatever...I took the bag for a little bit of spare change and finally made it out of the building.  I was so tired of walking, and still hungry, so I decided to just go the McDonalds across the street.  I went in and ordered...and then noticed I didn't see a credit card machine.  So I asked, "Do you take credit cards?"  Of course the guy didn't understand me...so he asked the girl nex to him.  I repeated the question and held up my credit card.  She said "cash only".  Great...well of course I don't have any cash to eat on...I just spent every last cent I had (literally) on knock-off Prada bags.  Genious.  Right...okay...well I don't have cash so cancel that order.  I walk next door to KFC...I hate that place, but getting pretty hungry.  Same story...cash only.  Okay - a few blocks down there is a Haggen Daas...finally some ice cream...and finally a place that takes credit cards!  I pointed to strawberry cheesecake, held up two fingers and said "ar" for two and pointed to a cup.  Got it...two scoops of ice cream for dinner.  Wow...what a day!

Back to the hotel and pack my bags for the next morning.  My flight was at 8am, so I had to leave by 5am.  Set my alarm for 4:45 am and went to sleep.  I woke up at 4am for some reason and decided I would look at my phone...bad decision...I had 62 emails (FOR REAL!) and started going through them and responding.  Of course I couldn't go back to sleep afer that so I just got up, got ready and went down to check out.  Went out front and the concierge had a car waiting for me.  I asked them if 100 RMB would be enough and they said absolutely (I went to the ATM and that was all I took out).  It was around 70 RMB from the airport to the hotel the previous night and we sat in traffic for a long time. They handed me a little card with the taxi number on it - I guess so you can complain if something goes wrong - and I got in.  They had already told him I needed to go to the airport.  As soon as I sat down, he turned around and held his hand out for the card...I had no idea why, but I just gave it to him...not thinking twice about it.  He looked a little scary...really bad teeth (like most everyone else in Beijing).  Off we went into the dark.  About 15 minutes in to the drive, I just feel weird.  I look down and see that the guy doesn't even have his meter on.  A million things start running through my head and I start to freak myself out.  It's dark...are we even going to the airport??  What if he takes me somewhere and dumps me off?  Why isn't his meter on?  He speaks NO english...great.  He apparently saw something in the road and started to stop...on the side of the highway...I'm REALLY freaking out now...about to call Amy at 5am and make her talk to this guy...but he doesn't stop and decided to keep going.  Then...the best of all...he turns the wrong way down a one-way on-ramp.  I just saw a car come up it, and it had a big read circle with a white line through it...like "DO NOT ENTER".  Well he whips it around and goes down it...I'm about to scream.  We make it down the ramp - the wrong way - and on to another highway...and I see an airplane on a sign...at least we are going the right way now.  HOW is this guy a taxi driver!?  About 10 minutes later we make it to the airport.  I get out, he gets my bags out and I say how much?  He says 200.  What?!  "200?!" I repeated?  He shook his head yes.  This guy was totally trying to scam me.  Too bad all I had ws 100...which was still a rip off.  I tried to explain to him that that was all I had...he was NOT happy...but I didn't really care...that jerk took me down a ramp the wrong way and almost killed me!  I just turned around and walked quickly in to the airport...just glad I made it there and wasn't dead on the side of the road somewhere...


In the airport, I'm looking for DragonAir...the airline my flight is on.  I see every other single airline imaginable but can't find DragonAir.  I asked two people where it was...no English.  The airport was pretty much dead.  Finally someone who speaks English points me to DragonAir...two little booths in the very back corner.  And no one is there.  Not open yet.  If they are going to tell you to be there two hours early for international flights, maybe they should have the check-in open!  It didn't open until 6am...so I sat and waited.  Finally got checked in and walked through security in about a minute - no line.  I found my gate and was exhausted.  I put my feet over my suitcase, my purse on my stomach with my arms over it, and my backpack as my pillow - and fell asleep.  I woke up about an hour later...surrounded by Asians!  Haha...it was kind of shocking to wake up to that...when I fell asleep I was the only one there!  Boarded my plane - window seat with no one next to me so I could spread out al ittle bit - and slept a little more on the 3 hour flight back.  Landed in HK just after 11am and walked off the plane on stairs...had to take a bus to the terminal.  Walked in...and surprise...the line to go through immigration is LONG...VERY LONG.  I waited in line for over an HOUR.  Finally made it through, found the train, got on, and got off 25 minutes later in Central Station.  Just had to get a taxi and make it back to the office in time to pick up the rental car and driver at 2.  No way - line is even longer for a taxi than it was to get through immigration.  Another 45 minute wait for a taxi...and then traffic is crazy...make it to my hotel around 2:30.  Amy and I are late.  We walked a few blocks to pick up the rental car for my boss next week and to meet the driver.  Amy and I were supposed to go look at aprtments for him since he is thinking about moving his family over here to HK for the school year (August 2008 - May 2009).  He told me to, "pick out a nice one because whereever he lives is where I'm going to be living to."  I guess that means I might be moving to Hong Kong next year??  ;) 


(Missy - you should stop reading here unless you want to find out how bad your driver is going to be next week!! ;) )


Amy fills out the paper work at Avis, the driver shows up (who speaks NO English) and we head up the elevator to get the car.  The guy she hired happens to be her friends dad...who she says is a part-time driver.  YEAH RIGHT -- I honestly don't think this guy has ever driver a car in his life.  We get a Toyota Picnic...kind of a small SUV and he gets in.  He has absolutely zero idea how to even get it in gear.  The rental guy - looking a little worred - comes over and tries to get him to roll down the window to give him some guidance.  No can do - he can't figure out the windows either.  So he just opens the door...and starts telling the guy all about the car.  UNbelievable.  I mean just a total shit show, haha!  So he finally thinks he has it...and revs up the gas to go...the car till in park...NO WAY...I just start laughing.  Okay - we finally get going...he is the most nervous/cautious driver I've EVER seen.  Honestly, I would have been a better driver in HK than this guy!!  He is jerking back and forth - we almot hit the side wall in the parking garage at leat 7 times in the 200 feet we drove in it.  NOW we pull ou ton to the BUSY street...holy shit...I am seriously going to die!  Amy is so pissed at this point.  I mean I'm a little worried...but still think it's hilarious that this guy has NO clue what he's doing.  I'm thinking at this oint I should offer to drive...even if it is on the other side of the street in a weird car...I would've been 100 times better.  The guy is going ridiculously slow and doesn't know the area or the roads at all.  Amy and this guy are yelling back and forth in cantonese...and I finally interrupt and say, "Umm...Amy?  What's going on?"  She says, "Well I just don'tknow the roads that well."  (She doesn't drive here).  I said isn't that the point of hiring a driver...to know the roads?  She said, well he doesn't know them like I thought he did.  Wow...so this goes on for 20 minutes or so.  Him weaving back and forth in traffic and slamming on the breaks...I'm about to throw up in the back seat...seriously.  Cars are honking at him right and left because he has no idea what he is doing...and he keeps reaching down for the clutch to change gears every two seconds...but we aren't driving a stick-shift car.  Amy is just screaming at him ... SO funny...   I finally say, "Amy, you know if Kent (our boss) gets in this car next week with this guy, you are going to lose your job?"  I wasn't joking at all either.  She yelled, "I know Terri!  I'll find a new driver!!"  she was obviously VERY annoyed with this guy who she thought was going to be good.  So all the bad driving aside, we looked at some amazing apratments in HK.  They all had great views and were huge. 





The good news is we made it back alive...barely.  We paid the driver for his time and Amy told him we would NOT be using him next week when my boss gets here...thank GOD!  I kind of felt bad for the guy, because he knew he was terrible. 


Anywyas - we dropped the rental car off again (we just test drove it today to go look at the apratments we will take our boss to on Monday).  Amy went out on the town for her birthday (which is tomorrow) and I came up to the office to work.  And that brings me up to now.    I know, I know...it's 11:30pm on Friday night in Hong Kong and I'm in the office working.  No life.  :) Maybe I'll have some fun tomorrow.  I need to work in the morning, but might take a ferry to Macau in  the afternoon -- I hear it's just like Las Vegas! 


Sorry this was ridiculously long!  I'll try to write more often so they don't turn in to novels! :)


-TK

No comments:

Post a Comment