Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Vietnam to Thailand

Let's see, let's see...I can't even remember where I left off! 

Cu-Chi Tunnels and MeKong Delta were pretty awesome to see!  I didn't take my camera because I was warned against it.  Cu-Chi tunnels were small crawl spaces and was on a little boat in the delta - didn't want to get it wet and ruin it, so no pictures!  No earth-shattering stories either - except that I absolutely can not believe the Vietnamese actually LIVED in those underground tunnels!  That was NUTS!

I got back a littel late from the tour and had to get to the airport to catch my flight to Bangkok.  So of course, the way to go when you're in a rush, is via motorbike, NOT taxi.  So off I went, on the back of another motorbike with a random guy, and TWO stuffed backpacks.  I really wish I had a picture of it... Or a video.  Even better.

The weight alone of those two things shifting was enough to topple the little bike (and little driver) over!  But he was good.  I told him I was in a hurry and would pay good for him to get me there on time. :)  We both held up our end of the bargain.  Traffic was just nuts, it was around rush hour, and he was literally weaving in and out of cars, making his own lane.  When traffic was at a dead stand still, he jumped off the main roads and took bumpy little side dirt roads through shanty little areas of the city with big pot holes.  It really is a shame I couldn't get my camera out for that trip!  

We eventually got back on a main road but traffic was still really bad, so he was driving between the two lanes of stopped cars.  I'm not "tall" by any standards I don't' think, but I'm certainly taller or longer-legged than those people I guess.  My knees literally hit the sides of the cars numerous times.  We were going slow, so it didn't hurt, so when I tried to squeeze my legs in as tight as I could to the motorbike, I burned the inside of my leg on the hot exhaust pipe.  Now THAT DID hurt!  Just can't win!  Either way, I made it to the airport probably in record time.  The driver was quite proud of himself, and I was just thankful to be OFF the motorbike! :)  And to top it off, my flight - of course - was delayed. ;)

The flight to Bangkok wasn't too bad - or too long really.  Couple of hours.  Landed smooth, hung out at the airport for a little bit to catch my flight to Phuket (southern Thailand).  From there I took a 'tuk-tuk' to the port and hopped on a boat to the Phi Phi Islands where they filmed the move "The Beach."  

Sorry for the suepr short version.  Just no time to write!  Too much exploring to do!

More to come... but bye for now!

-TK

No comments:

Post a Comment