Thursday, May 20, 2010

Off to Guatemala!

Well, it's that time again!  Time for me to rip off to some foreign country by myself and see what kind of trouble I can get myself in to! ;)  Just kidding...I'm totally safe - ALL the time!  :)

I leave tonight for Guatemala City, Guatemala -- then on to San Jose, Costa Rica on Wednesday (the 26th) and back to KC on Memorial Day!  Not really much planned for these trips (as in transportation or where to stay), the norm for my vacations!  Flying by the seat of your pants is WAY more fun. :)  The whole purpose of this trip is to hike two volcanoes:  either Fuego or Pacaya Volcano outside of Antigua, Guatemala (which one depends on the recent level of activity)-- and Arenal Volcano (one of the world's top 10 most active volcanoes) outside of Arenal, Costa Rica.

A lot of people have been asking me why these countries and why a volcano and the truth is, I don't really have a good answer for that.  You know, sometimes I just get a wild hair and decide on something.  I just think it would be really freaking sweet to hike a volcano, so that's what I'm doing! :)

I also want to go repelling down some waterfalls in Costa Rica and visit the Cloud Forests of Monteverde (rainforest above the clouds)!  I also might visit a friend of mine from high school who is volunteering at an orphanage in El Salvador (borders Guatemala).  I'm not sure how to get there yet, but if I can find a bus to take me across the border, I would love to visit him and see the orphanage!

So anyways, to those of you who are new to the email list this year (there are actually quite a few!), I go on a trip once a year by myself to explore the world!  My emails tend to get super SUPER long, as I write about every single little thing I did that day.  Don't feel obligated to read them all, it is more for myself than anything -- something for me to keep and read down the road so I'll remember everything! :) 

So I'm off:  10 days, 2 (maybe 3) countries, 2 cameras, 1 sweet new North Face backpack (THANKS ANG!), and NO makeup/hairdryer! :)  I'll try and write more when I get to Guatemala, but as usual, I have no idea when or if I'll get access to internet!

Oh and maybe say a little prayer for me here and there -- that I don't have any blonde moments while I'm traveling and do anything ridiculously stupid...like I usually do! ;)


-TK

No comments:

Post a Comment