Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 7 - Monteverde, Costa Rica

Well the jeep - boat - jeep trip was pretty uneventful.  The jeep took us to Arenal Lake, where we took a boat for probably 30 minutes or so to the other side, and then another jeep through more rainforest on super bumpy dirt roads for another hour and a half or so. 



Monteverde is a very small town, and as soon as we jumped off the bus, the tour guides and guys trying to get us to stay at their hotels/hostels swarmed us.  We picked Tucan Hotel, which is pretty nice actually, and it was only $10/night with free internet and free breakfast, right in the middle of town, not a bad deal! :) 



We got here around 11:30, and we immediately booked a tour to the cloud forests which left at 12:30.  We found a little hole in the wall restaurant and grabbed a pizza, and took off! 

The cloud forests were amazing!!!  I don't know if it was more fun than repelling yesterday, but zip lining through the tops of the trees in the cloud forest is pretty dang sweet too! :)  We zip lined from 13 different platforms, and hiked some in between.  The views were awesome - up in the clouds above some of the trees, sometimes right through them.  The last one was over a MILE LONG!  I'm pretty sure I took like a thousand pictures (and a couple videos). :)














At the end, the guides said they had  surprise for us, so we followed them to another platform, but this one didn't have  a cord going anywhere...except straight down!  Haha...it was like a little mini bungi jump!  I got up there and they hooked me in and I said hey you're just going to have to push me, there's no way I can do this, and he said okay and pushed me off - all in about half a second! :)  Good thing, because it didn't look all that safe and I just wasn't feeling too gutsy, but it was super fun!! 



After the zip-lining we walked across 8 hanging suspension bridges through the tops of the cloud forest, and hiked in between the bridges.  That was really something to see too, kind of from another perspective.  The birds and sounds were really interesting, and there were some beautiful trees and crazy vegetation!  It was almost dark in there in places because the trees were so thick!




















It's about 5pm now and we are back at the hotel, exhausted.  I think we'll grab some dinner and maybe go to a local concert playing tonight (some rock band from San Jose) and hopefully go to bed early and get some good sleep!  I am going to try and go white water rafting tomorrow, but I'm not sure it's going to work out just yet.  Costa Rica supposedly has some of the best white water rafting in the world! :)  I am going to walk around town here pretty soon and see what I can find out about it.  I think Max and the Slovakian (his name is Dusan) are going to go to some beach a ways away - they have another week here...  Since I leave Monday, I am going to try and stay closer to the area around San Jose-ish.  So we'll see!  I'll write in the morning and let you know what I found out probably.  If not, you'll hear from me tomorrow night I'm sure. :)


Bye for now!


TK

No comments:

Post a Comment